According to the press release, Bourel started to take photos of the Budapest Jewish quarter in the mid-nineties. His works are accompanied by text associations of a young poet and rapper, namely Péter Závada, famous for being the MC of Akkezdet Phiai.
About Rumbach Street Synagogue: the Austrian architect, Otto Wagner designed the building in the style of status quo ante bellum. Today the building belongs to the Hungarian Jewish community organisation MAZSIHISZ.
Filed under: Art, Budapest reports | Leave a Comment
Tags: Bruno Bourel, budapest, exhibition, Jewish, Péter Závada, photo
- Disclaimer: this is a personal blog and is not related to my work... Is it?
Tagged1956 1989 Akkezdet Phiai Art Art Station Beatles beautiful budapest Budapest Business Region Budapest Micro Budapest Pride budapest slam car CEE Central and Eastern Europe city city image Civil Society Forum commercial Communication Law Dancsó Péter debate democracy demonstration district 6 district VI Elfriede Jelinek Failotron free press funny gay Gypsy Hanoi Haruki Murakami health care Hungarian Hungarian Guard Hungary image Jewish journalism Knut Hamsun LGBT LGBT Film and Cultural Festival Margaret Bridge Media metro4 Milan Kundera murder music Napkelte national Norwegian Wood Népszabadság Orbán OSA party politics pride filmnights pride march Rainbow Mission Foundation rap reconstruction Red River revolution roma silence decree slam poetry Slovakia television time-lapse transition Tűzraktér video Viktor Orbán
- The Journalistic Purgatory of Eastern Europe February 19, 2014Central and Eastern European media is less free now than at any point in the past 20 years and the internet is no safe haven either.
- Prisoners Lists Stir Informbiro Memories in Former Yugoslav Republics February 11, 2014Publishing of the lists of Goli Otok prisoners, victims of 1949-56 communist purges, reignited dormant debates and opened some old wounds, throughout the former Yugoslav republics.
- Rare Roma Holocaust Documentation Center to Open in Hungary January 21, 2014A Roma Holocaust center is planned to be opened in the southern Hungarian city of Pecs by the end of 2014. The documentation center is the joint effort of the local municipality of Pecs and the Hungarian Roma minority, and will also collaborate with the Pecs University in teaching students...
- European Citizens Call for the Protection of Media Pluralism January 20, 2014“European institutions should safeguard the right to free, independent and pluralistic information”. The quote, from the Media Initiative website, summarizes the main idea behind a pan-European campaign that aims at urging the European Commission to draft a Directive to protect Media Pluralism and Press Freedom. The Media Initiative is running a European Cit […]
- New Website Collects Reports and Data About Bribes in Hungary December 15, 2013Hungary, like many other countries in the region, has an on-going corruption problem on almost every level of governance. A new project created by investigative website Átlátszó.hu and Transparency International, Fizettem.hu, has taken on the task of collecting reports from citizens about cases of bribery and corruption in the country....
- Hungary Criticized for Lenient Naturalization Policy November 10, 2013With unemployment and economic concern growing in the European Union, Hungary is among some of the EU member states being criticized by its Union neighbors for more lenient laws passed in 2011 for attaining Hungarian citizenship. Charles Richardson explains why on Crikey's blogs: Hungary has been giving some grief to...
- New Laws in Hungary May Restrict Media Freedom November 10, 2013On November 5, 2013, Hungarian Parliament adopted changes to the country's Criminal Code regarding potentially defamatory video or audio recordings. The new changes to this law include penalties such as imprisonment of up to three years for making such materials public. The longest prison sentence relates to materials published to...
- ‘Women Should Be Submissive', and Other Google Autocomplete Suggestions November 5, 2013Following UN Women's lead, Global Voices conducted its own experiments with Google's Autocomplete feature. The investigation revealed popular attitudes about women’s roles, sexuality, appearance and relationships with men.
- Hungarian Student Bloggers Win Lawsuit Against University October 27, 2013Bloggers of Átlátszó Oktatás (Transparent Education) sued the largest Hungarian university ELTE's Law Faculty in winter 2012, in order to obtain documents on how state scholarships and bonus payments were distributed by the members of the faculty's student union. Because the university is entirely state-funded, the students demanded through a... […]
- Asylum-Seekers Continue Hunger Strike in Hungary October 16, 2013Sixty asylum-seekers went on hunger strike yesterday in a southeast Hungarian detention camp for asylum-seekers, atlatszo.hu investigative journalism site's blog reported in their Blog Action Day post [hu] on human rights. The Office of Immigration and Nationality confirmed that the strike was started by five Malian citizens who were joined by...
- The Journalistic Purgatory of Eastern Europe February 19, 2014
I've seen this